No Open Cast!
This page is a list of most prominent campaigns that have sprung up around the British Isles in regard to fighting the menace that is open cast mining.
- Huntingdon Lane Protest Camp is a protest camp at Huntington Lane near Wellington in Shropshire, which has been protecting woodland in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) against the ravages of UK Coal since March 2010 and preventing the building of a road which would give access to a second area for opencast mining.
- Residents Against Ffos y Fran, Merthyr Tydfil http://www.stopffosyfran.co.uk/
- Mainshill Solidarity Camp (Nr Douglas, Lanarkshire, SW Scotland) – A land occupation there began in the Summer of 2009 as a blockade to prevent road access of machinery to prevent tree-felling for site excavation for an opposed open-cast mine. On the 29th of January 2010 the last occupants of the Mainshill Solidarity Camp were forcibly removed after a five day long eviction ending over seven months of disrupting Scottish Coals plans. The occupation part of the campaign against the Mainshill open cast has now ended, but the struggle against the mine will continue. Website of Mainshill Solidarity Campaign: http://coalactionscotland.org.uk/?page_id=415
- Longstone Edge, Peak District: http://www.longstone-edge.org.uk/news.htm
- Minorca Open Cast Protest Group (against the Minorca Surface Mine in NW Leicestershire).
More info here: http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/measham/a-guide-to-where-to-find-the-lat.html
- Coal Action Scotland: http://coalactionscotland.org.uk/
- History of struggle against Open Cast Mining and environmental protest movement’s links with working class communities in coal-mining areas [source: Do-or-Die, Issue 7 (1997)]: http://www.eco-action.org/dod/no7/23-32.html
from page http://www.tlio.org.uk/No-opencast